OSC, through East Delavan Property, LLC. (EDP), purchased the former American Axle building located at 1001 East Delavan Avenue in Buffalo, NY. The property was Chevrolet’s first automotive production facility outside of Michigan in 1932, and was used continuously as an automotive production facility until 2009. The complex comprises approximately 80 acres of real estate and 1.2 million square feet of automotive production facilities. This site, while having great potential, posed significant challenges, ranging from historic environmental issues to general challenges consistent with a single-tenant user, including utilities systems, site services, and access. EDP spent nearly $4 million in three years reconfiguring the site, addressing historic environmental conditions, and readying the complex for multiple industrial users.
The first of these was a steel galvanizing production facility installed at a cost of$30 million and capable of producing 200,000 tons per year of galvanized steel products. This development represents the first of what EDP hopes will be a long list of industrial manufacturers on the property.