Originally founded as the Schoellkopf Aniline and Dye Company in 1879, the plant produced dyes and organic chemicals based primarily on aniline and various aniline derivatives. The company merged to form Allied Chemical Corporation in 1920 and consequently sold to Buffalo Color Corporation from 1977 until operations ceased in 2003. The plant produced primarily Indigo dye alkyl anilines, anhydrides and dye intermediates. The site occupies approximately 47 acres near and adjacent to the Buffalo River
Health & Environmental Risks
BTEX, arsenic, mercury, cholorbenzene, and aniline with potential pathway for impacted groundwater migration toward the Buffalo River.
Structural considerations included numerous vacant former manufacturing buildings, tank farms and support infrastructure in poor condition and containing hazardous substances.
Asbestos abatement and structural demolition
Source excavations of contaminated soil and installation of a protective cover system
Abandonment/plugging/rehabilitation of underground sewer system
Installation of a non-permeable barrier wall
Bioremediation of Chlorobenzene plumes
Improvements to and expansion of on-site water treatment system
Transformation of an abandoned, blighted industrial property into a site ready for commercial/light industrial use with environmentally sustainable facilities that will support jobs, be a catalyst for redevelopment in the Elk Street Corridor and promote the economic stability of the region.
WNY Heritage Discovery Center
Medaille Sports Complex
Commercial & Retail Space