This facility was approximately 200 meters long by 40 meters wide and is situated on an industrial site in downtown Toronto that is approximately 12.5 hectares in area. From 1984 to 1997 it was used to store PCB waste and was listed as a storage site by the Ministry of Environment .The area as a whole is undergoing extensive changes, including demolition of surrounding buildings in order to convert the site for residential and commercial uses. Due to the sensitive nature of the site, pre-mobilization activities included vibration monitoring, ambient air monitoring and spill response and contingency plans.
SCOPE OF WORK:
- Complete structural demolition and hazardous material abatement of the decommissioned former transformer manufacturing facility.
- Erosion and sediment control measures.
- Adherence to strict air monitoring and noise controls throughout.
- Building of barriers to protect high-volume traffic access.
- Proper containment and disposal of PCB-contaminated materials.
- Detailed waste tracking and auditing.