The highly contaminated site was cleared through the NYS Brownfield Remediation program, which created development incentives for the Heritage Discovery Center. A Historic Train Museum and The Buffalo Steel Museum now occupy the site.
SCOPE OF WORK:
- Residual chemical removal of bulk chemicals in abandoned tanks and process lines.
- Asbestos Abatement.
- Demolition of storage tanks, chemical lines, a boiler house and multiple structures in a former chemical plant.
- Multiple remedial excavations to remove residual chemicals and sources of potential groundwater contamination.
- In-situ treatment of contaminated soils.
- Upgrades and modifications to an on-site groundwater treatment system.
- Installation of bentonite slurry wall to guard against any potential contamination of the Buffalo River.