This project involved the demolition, remediation and redevelopment of a former dye manufacturing plant which had operated in Buffalo, NY since the early 1900’s and occupied nearly 40 acres of property. The highly contaminated site was cleared through the NYS Brownfield Remediation program, which created development incentives for the Heritage Discovery Center.
SCOPE OF WORK:
- Low-point drilling, draining, and flushing of chemical storage and chemical process tanks and piping, including demolition after decontamination.
- Asbestos abatement and hazardous material removal and disposal.
- Above-grade demolition of multiple industrial structures.
- Source area excavation of over 20,000 tons of contaminated soil including transportation, and disposal to permitted disposal facilities.
- In-situ chemical treatment of contaminated soils beneath the groundwater level.
- Construction, operation, and maintenance of a groundwater treatment system.
- Installation of a 35-foot-deep vertical bentonite slurry wall to prevent the off-site migration of contaminated groundwater.
- Repair and relining of an onsite stormwater drainage system.
- Processing and recycling/reuse of over 30,000 tons of concrete and masonry materials.
- Installation of a site-wide soil cover system.
- Site re-development